Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Introduction

Okay. Have you ever taken a look at tracts? I mean, a good look? My friend Lita and I did one day. And what we saw made us laugh our asses off.

First, you should know that we both have conservative Christian backgrounds. Lita and I have talked before about our common roots. I've seen Big Love on HBO a few times and I think the thing that struck me the most about that show is that even though I'm neither a Mormon nor a polygamist, religions -- even denominations -- can have their own language and behaviors. Lita and I had talked about "witnessing", being "saved", and "receiving Christ", among other things. Catholics have their "Peace be with you" when greeting others in church: we have "God is good." "All the time."

One day, Lita posted a link in the chat for Chick Publications. I had seen these tracts as a kid but stopped reading them as an adult. Tracts were another part of the fundamentalist Christian experience. It was one of my jobs to keep the tract rack in our church filled, and I even left them on the seats of buses and trains and in restaurants. But that was a long time ago, and now, reading these as an adult, I gained a different perspective on them. I think Lita felt the same. I can't say I agree with all that's written in them, but I will agree that Jesus is the Son of God who died for our sins and, if we will ask forgiveness and commit our lives to Him, we will be saved. After that.... well, it's a divergence of opinions. Anyway, that's between me and God, but damn if these tracts don't make for some hilarious reading.

Anyway, Lita and I decided to hop on the blogwagon and post some of our chat transcripts here. Please keep in mind that we're really not bashing anyone.... maybe their beliefs a little bit. But even though we might not agree with everything, we agree on the important thing.

No comments: